Monday, October 19, 2009

Not a Fan of Wearing Men's Clothing...

October 15, 2009

Megan and I have been settling in and decorating our room over the course of the last couple of days. Here are a few pictures that show what it looks like.

It's pretty much your typical dorm room; however, I have never seen crazy beds that slide under cupboards like these do. Mine is the one at the back of the wall on the right side of the picture. (P.S. I was super excited that I bought the blue flowered comforter at Target on clearance for...$4.97! Incredible deal!)

Oh and yes, our bed frames are on rollers, so we are able to roll them out from underneath the weird cupboards at night to sleep. I guess it really does make for more storage space and floor space.


This is my favorite part of our room. On Thursday night, Megan and I decided we should decorate the empty bulletin board that was hanging on the wall in our room when we arrived. We spent hours just talking and getting to know each other while cutting out these letters and designing the board. We hope to get some pictures of us together printed out to add to it in the next week or so. We have also decided to add to the board throughout our experience to track our service projects and our travels. (With Megan being an RA in college and me being a teacher, this was right up our alleys!)

This is the few from across the room. We have a sink and mirror in our room, which is really nice. We both have large closets (mine's on the left by the door to the hallway). Our room also came with a mini-fridge, so we were able to buy some apples, milk, cereal, and a few snacks.

This is my desk area. Again, it's just like freshman year of college all over!
Now start the lovely uniform pictures, which we were issued on this day (Thursday, Oct. 15th). Every single girl in the Corps (and there are WAY more girls than guys) complained about the low-crotched, extremely baggy pants and shorts that we are issued. Not to mention that the waists are so high, I barely feel like I have a torso. But oh well -- tucked in shirts and belts are required anytime you're "in the A" (which means wearing ANYTHING AmeriCorps), so I'm getting used to it. Below are pictures of Megan and I as we conducted our "AmeriCorps Fashion Show" after receiving our uniforms.

These "fisherman's hats" below are horribly ugly and (thankfully) can only be wore for practical working purposes in the sun. They are not to be worn "fashionably" we were told -- I'm glad they told us that because otherwise I think I would wear it around everyday. (Sense the sarcasm?)
This is our lovely NCCC parka that will keep us warm when Denver becomes snowy!

Just to summarize the day, we attended meetings all morning on Thursday about rules/regulations/procedures of campus. After lunch, we were issued our uniforms and then went to a meeting about banking to set up our direct deposits. Megan and I spent all night making our fabulous bulletin board, and that concluded our night on Thursday.

Below is a view of the mountains from campus. No matter how hard I try, my camera cannot capture how beautiful they are. But I will keep trying...it's impossible not to!

2 comments:

  1. Loved the fashion show and hats! I'm so happy that this is the experience you were hoping for...Hopefully it continues like this. You are makig lifetime memories and friends! I bet you wish you had my little CriCut for your bulletin board!
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so adorable! I am so proud of you for having these experiences to live and (in the future) look back on. Everyone in Pod 4 asks about you!!!

    ReplyDelete