Thursday, November 26, 2009

I'm Thankful For...

This Thanksgiving, I have had a lot on my mind. I am thankful for so many wonderful people and things in my life, and I wanted an outlet to share what's been on my mind. I felt like blogging would be a nice way to let other people that I can't spend the holiday with right now know how much I appreciate them.

So, enjoy reading below. I sincerely hope that you enjoyed your holiday today, however and with whomever you spent the day with. I am very lucky to have each of you in my life, and I cannot wait to catch up over winter break!

I am thankful for...
  • my family. I have realized even more so this year that I am extremely fortunate. So many people in so many places have to worry about family dynamics, illness, divorce, lost siblings, etc. around the holidays. I am lucky that I have a healthy, supportive family that loves me and loves spending time together. I hope that no matter what happens, we never lose sight of how important we are to each other. Morgan, Anthony, Grandma & Grandpa Orr, Grandma Donna, Grandpa Bud, all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, extended relatives -- I love you all. Thank you for being caring and supportive. I can't wait to see you all at Christmas!
  • my parents. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the way that I was raised and the relationship that I have with my parents. I am so thankful that I always have open lines of communication, and that they raised me to work hard, think critically, and care for others. It's funny, when you're young, you think that you will do so many things differently than your parents did. But just yesterday, I was talking to some of my teammates about our upbringings, and I realized just how awesome my parents are and how much I appreciate them. If, when I have my own children, I can raise them as well as my parents raised me, I will be extremely happy and proud. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for always being there for me, supporting me, teaching me, and giving me opportunities. I can't imagine any way that you could have done a better job. I love you.
  • my friends. There have been people that have stuck by me through many different parts of my life, and I am so grateful to have friends that care about me. I can't possibly name all of my friends, but please know that I appreciate you, miss you, and hope that you had a wonderful holiday today. No matter what ups and downs life throws my way, I can always count on you to have my back, and I hope that you know I will do the same for you.
  • Eric. I miss you, love you, and appreciate your support while we're apart. I am thankful that I met you and can't wait to see you at Christmas. I am happy that we can both do things we are passionate about and grow individually while still growing as a couple. Also, I am very thankful for Eric's parents letting me live with them for six weeks before coming to NCCC. Without their hospitality, I would have had a really difficult time saving a little bit of money and paying off college debts before leaving for this program. I really appreciate the way they welcomed me into their home.
  • my teammates. Today was a hard day for nearly all of us. Most of us spent the morning on the phone and computer trying to be a part of our family's traditions while being so far away. There was laughter over funny Thanksgiving traditions, and tears over ill grandparents and homesickness. Regardless, we had a wonderful meal together and shared each other's company. I am so thankful for this AmeriCorps experience that I am having, and that I get a chance to get to know eleven other caring and passionate people.
  • specific mentors that have impacted my life in ways they might not even realize. Audrianne -- I cannot thank you enough for the experience I had teaching with you last fall. I thought about you often this week, as last year at this time I was ending my experience with you in our classroom. You really shaped a lot of my teaching values and practices, and I think part of the reason I am so excited to have my own classroom in the future is because of the positive experience I had with you, so thank you. Alternative Breaks Alumni -- I miss you all! If you are reading this, I really think we need to plan a reunion. What an amazing group of people I got to spend much of my college days with -- I am thankful for all of you, all the experiences that I had with you, and I hope everything is going well for you currently.
  • my health and the health of my family and friends.
  • my access to opportunity and education.
  • all of the people who encouraged me to participate in this NCCC program.
  • all of the men and women who serve our country, in any way.
  • living in the United States and having rights and freedoms that others may not have.
  • not having any sources of turmoil in my life currently. It's easy when things go awry to think poorly of my situation, but through my experiences I am learning that there is always someone who is worse off than I am. I am learning to a much greater extent what it means to be humble, appreciative, and passionate. Nothing in my life is worth being upset or stressed over. I am so thankful that this is true for me right now.
  • the fact that I have a job and source of income during this tough economic time.
  • technology! Without it this year, I would have not been able to feel connected to my family today. Webcams, cell phones, Skype, email, Facebook -- sometimes it's easy to get upset with how inundated our culture is with technology, but on days like today, I really appreciate it!

I'm sure this is not an exhaustive list, but it's a start. When thinking about all I am thankful for, one of my favorite quotes comes to mind. John Mayer said that, "I believe my life will see the love I give return to me." My hope is that through my good fortune, I can give back to people and communities in which I live and teach, and by doing so, my community will give back to me.

1 comment:

  1. Great minds, Ash! I have been thinking of you all last week too, and talking to friends about you - telling them how proud I am of you and the adventures you are having. You make me smile. On to trimester two!

    ReplyDelete