Friday, January 8, 2010

NOLA, here I come!

NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana)

I hope this first post of the new year finds all of you in great health and optimistic about what 2010 has to bring!

I had a very busy but fulfilling break in Michigan travelling around with Eric to visit friends and family. Unfortunately, both Eric and I were sick for most of the two weeks, but we did the best we could and still had a great time together.

I arrived back in Denver to Walsh Hall on January 2nd, and I have spent the past week "transitioning" to my new project. This included: debriefing the staff here on how our project at the Boys and Girls Club went, briefing the staff on our preparedness for our next project in New Orleans, and attending various trainings for roles on my team. I was chosen as an Assistant Team Leader (ATL) and a Peer-Helper, as well as maintaining my role as the SLI (Service Learning Initiator). I have quite a bit on my plate, but everyone who knows me well knows that I like to stay busy and have responsibilities, so I'm looking forward to it.

My team leaves tomorrow to begin the first of our three days of travel to NOLA. We are excited to arrive at our house and meet our sponsors that we'll be working with at the Habitat ReStore and warehouse.

We will be living in a Habitat for Humanity house in the Lower 9th Ward. It's a three bedroom house with four bunk beds in each room, and then it has a living room and laundry room. No TV, no Internet, NO COFFEE MAKER (until I buy one!!). I am guessing that I will have to visit a coffee shop or library to get Internet, so it will probably only be once a week. Regardless, I will try hard to update this blog with pictures and stories as often as possible.

My address for my stay in NOLA (Jan. 11 - Mar. 3) will be:

Ashley Orr - FIRE 1
AmeriCorps NCCC
Attn: Melissa Manuselis
PO Box 15052
New Orleans, LA 70175

Hope to write soon! Take care :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie!
    Thanks for the update and reminding all of us to be positive about the new year. I can't wait to hear about New Orleans. Although your dad and I visited there years ago, you will get a much better picture of what life is really like there...and get to meet lots of people who live there. What a great experience ... and I'm sure you will make a difference in whatever you do there.
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. As busy as you like to stay, Ashley, I hope you take the opportunity to see some of the historic parts of New Orleans. The cemeteries are very interesteing and of course, there are the homes of Tennessee Williams and I beleive, Truman Capote. I know Capote spent a good portion of his life in NYC but his parents were from 'Orleans. Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

    ReplyDelete