Saturday, May 1, 2010

Picture Updates from ARKANSAS!

It's been pretty hard to keep in touch from the middle of the woods in Arkansas, but here are a few more pictures as I wrap up my last week here.

Next Friday (May 7th) I leave to head back to Denver for transition week.

On the 16th, I will leave for my last project working with La Plata Habitat for Humanity in Durango, CO. I will be reunited with my permanent team, and we will be building a duplex from the ground up!

Here's a picture of where I spent a Saturday afternoon laying in the sun by the river.
SO PRETTY!
Mom and Dad came to visit (Yay!) We spent the weekend in Hot Springs and then came to hike the trails my team and I built on Sunday morning. Here we are on Multi-Falls bridge, the first of four bridges that my team built.

Beautiful view from the Visitor's Center.

Spring has sprung and there are tons of flowering trees and plants in the trails!


The state butterfly, Diana Fritillary.


Battle wounds from a day using the tree puller! Two GIANT bruises on my left thigh! OUCH!


Smoothing the trail with my fire-rake.


Chainsawing isn't quite so scarey anymore!


Using the hammer drill to insert wedges to break off part of a giant rock!


Using the demolition saw to cut pieces of rebar to secure our bridge.


As you can see, I have been learning how to use many different power tools! It's been an awesome experience, and I have learned a lot about myself and building hiking trails!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures Ashley!
    You know how I especially enjoyed the picture of the Diana Fritillary. I bet Durango will be looking great by the time you get there. Now you can think of this like retirement and start your count down days! You will probably have a house all built, for the two of you, by the time Eric is finished. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie!
    Nice pics... I'm so glad we got to see you and where all this "man-ly tool experience" has been taking place. I told Nikki B. about what you've been doing. She couldn't believe it! You've learned and grown so much from this. As always, I'm so proud. I think this assignment might have been one of the biggest challenges of your life, so far... Stay safe, but have fun! love, mom

    ReplyDelete